navigation and tools
in 'Your council'
You are here: Home | Your council | Website guidelines
Web guidelines & standards
These pages are a resource for officers of Brighton & Hove City Council and anyone planning, writing or maintaining web pages.
These standards are mandatory for Brighton & Hove City Council divisions, directorates, business units (and collaborative projects where the city council is the majority funder or partner). They are also recommended for school websites.
- All city council web content must be published on the www.brighton-hove.gov.uk.
- All web pages are subject to these standards.
- Only Brighton & Hove schools websites may be published on different domain names.
Our website is the public face of Brighton & Hove City Council on the web. We must ensure we are providing a high quality, professional and reliable information resource for local people on this site. Publishing content in a consistent format and style goes a long way to achieving that goal. These guidelines cover:
- Web page planning - some tips to consider
- Council website design - presenting a unified image of the city council online
- Marketing your web pages - an key part of communications planning
- Linking policy
- Domain name policy - the city council operates a single domain name policy for web pages
- Advertising and sponsorship - what you can (and can't) do
- Usability - what it means
- Accessibility standards - our website is designed to be used and accessed by all sectors of the community. These pages tell you why and how
- Excellent practice webpages - our guide for web authors - covers style guidelines, images, downloads etc
- Schools websites - the key features of a safe school website.
All web authors are expected to ensure that they maintain an awareness of these standards. Please use our feedback form to comment on the website.