navigation and tools
Applying for a place at a Brighton & Hove school
You can apply
Take a look at our school admissions booklets if you have any questions about applying for a school place in Brighton & Hove.
The closing date for applications was at 3pm on
- 31 October 2012 for secondary schools
- 15 January 2013 for infant, junior and primary schools
Any applications received after these dates will be treated as late. If you wish to appeal against a decision, please see the School Appeals section for details.
- request a paper copy school admissions booklet or preference form - we will post out a form and/or booklet to you
- contact the school admissions team
- school admissions timetable
- starting school - information about starting school in the area
- school admissions booklet - the admissions booklets viewable online
- transferring school at other times - transfering your child between schools, during the academic year
- sustainable transport strategy for schools - Travelling to school
School allocation details for September 2013
- Secondary School allocation factsheet 2013
- Junior School allocaiton factsheet 2013
- Infant & Primary School allocation factsheet 2013
Starting school for the first time
If your child was born between 1 September 2008 and 31 August 2009, they can start school in September 2013.
Do you need extra help to apply?
The Family Information Service has a School Preference Service to help those parents and carers who may need help in applying for a primary or secondary school place for their child.
For more information contact the Family Information Service on (01273) 293545
Proposal to expand Aldrington Church of England Primary SchoolOwing to increasing numbers of children in the city we need to provide additional school places. As part of this we are looking to expand Aldrington Church of England Primary School by one form of entry from September 2013. To find out more and leave your comments on the proposal go the Aldrington CofE proposal page.
West Hove Infant School - Connaught Annexe
A new school opened on the site of the Connaught Centre in Connaught Road in September 2011. The council has agreed with West Hove Infant School that they will oversee the first two years of the new school.
The admissions process for parents is that they apply for a place at West Hove Infant School - Connaught Annexe as if it were a separate school. Parents wishing to apply for a place West Hove Infant School in Portland Road will need to do this separately. The normal admissions criteria will apply separately to both schools.
Early education for three & four year olds
If you'd like your child to attend nursery or preschool before starting school, find out more about the places and funding available.
Annual ConsultationInformation about our annual consultation exercise can be found here.
Children in Care
Children in care are given prioirty for admissions in all Brighton & Hove Schools and are usually expected to recieve the first school of preference for applications within the usual admissions rounds.
We work closely with our Virtual School for Children in Care team, social workers and families to ensure that proper priority is given for their school admission and that at all times in their school careers they are properly supported in their education.
If you want to discuss a school admission for a child in care please contact the school admissions team, alternatively you may wish to speak to the Virtual School for Children in Care team on (01273) 293432 or email@example.com.
School Allocations details for September 2012 & 2011
- Secondary Allocation Factsheet 2012 [MS Word]112kb
- Primary_Allocation_Factsheet_2012 [MS Word] 216 kb
- Junior Allocation Factsheet 2012_[MS Word] 81 kb
- Primary and Infant Allocation Factsheet 2011 [MS Word 224kb]
- Junior Allocation Factsheet 2011 [MS Word 69kb]
- Secondary Allocation Factsheet 2011 [PDF 58kb]