Finding an approved Personal Assistant

There are several ways to get the care and support you need in your own home. One way is by employing a personal assistant to help you to live your life more independently.

Personal Assistants offer support in various everyday activities such as shopping, leisure activities, washing and personal care.

They will fit around your needs and your schedule and can support you at the times and on the days of the week that suit you. It's a one-to-one arrangement between you and the assistant.

Find a Personal Assistant

We can help you to find a Personal Assistant through the Support with Confidence register of approved Personal Assistants.
The Support with Confidence scheme is run by several councils and provides a register of businesses and individuals providing care and support services.

Only businesses and individuals providing care and support services that can demonstrate that they have undergone the appropriate training and met background checks can get on to the register. For example Adult Protection checks, customer references, training history financial history and trading status checks.

Search for a Personal Assistant (PDF 569kb) now. The list provides details of individual Personal Assistants, rates of hourly pay and availability.

Local organisation The Fed  also offers a list of approved Personal Assistants. The Fed is a user-led organisation that promotes independent living for all, offering support to disabled people, older people, their carers, families and friends.

For more information you can contact the Support with Confidence team:

Call: 01273 296424

Get started

If you have not used this service before you will first need to sign up online with your name, a password and your email address.

Ensuring a quality service

All Personal Assistants must have had special checks before they can be on the register. They are also trained and must sign a code of conduct (PDF 44kb).

If a personal assistant breaches the code of conduct, unless there is a safeguarding (abuse or neglect) issue, they will be marked as ‘not available’ on the register while an investigation is carried out.

If a serious breach of the code of contact has taken place, for example there is a safeguarding issue, the personal assistant will be removed from the register.

If you are concerned that someone is being abused or neglected, contact the Support with Confidence team.

Call: 01273 296424

If you suspect a crime has been committed contact Sussex Police.

Call: 0845 60 70 999
In an emergency call 999.

Pay for a Personal Assistant

You can pay for a Personal Assistant if you're self funding.

Otherwise, if you're eligible for financial support, you may choose to use direct payments to pay for a personal assistant.

First you will need a financial assessment to evaluate your eligibility.

Become a Personal Assistant

Find out more about becoming a Personal Assistant.

Download and fill in a Personal Assistant application form (PDF 1.36mb). You will need to provide personal details and references. You must include copies of two forms of ID, one of which must be a photo ID plus copies of all relevant training certificates with your application.

Find out more about other types of care at home.