Equipment and adaptations to your home if you have a disability or illness

If you have a disability or illness and you're having difficulties carrying out activities of daily living we may be able to help.

Our occupational therapists, rehabilitation officers for visual impairment and support staff can assess you. We assist adults and their carers to live as safely and independently as possible.


We can help you live more safety and independently in your home, whether you own it, rent privately, or are a council or housing association tenant.

Examples of what we can help you with include:

  • installing handrails
  • widening doors
  • raising electrical sockets
  • replacing a bath with a level-access shower
  • installing special equipment for people with either a hearing impairment or a visual impairment

Minor adaptations under £1,000 are provided without charge for people who we've assessed and are eligible.

Adaptations costing more than £1,000

To fund adaptations over £1,000 you will need to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant.

This is a means-tested grant administered by us. When you apply, we will need to check that the proposed work is necessary and appropriate to meet the disabled person’s needs, and that the work is reasonable and practicable.

We also need to be satisfied about the overall feasibility of the work.

Find out about more about disabled facilities grants on


Daily living equipment is an item or product that you can buy commercially off the shelf; modified or customised that is used to increase the capabilities of people with a disability.

Daily living equipment includes:

  • shower chairs
  • commodes
  • bath lifts
  • raised toilet seats
  • hoists and slings
  • equipment for people with either a visual impairment or a hearing impairment, such as flashing doorbells, low-vision optical aids and assistive listening devices.

Our eligibility criteria

We'll provide equipment and adaptations where they will increase your safety and help retain or regain significant skills that avoid or delay the need for care.

First we will need to check if you're eligible to receive these services.

Arrange an assessment

Please contact Access Point, the contact centre for Adult Social Care Services.

Access Point will take details of the difficulties you are experiencing, provide standard equipment or adaptations or signpost you to the most appropriate service.