Planning Enforcement

General Information

Whilst we will always endeavour to assist you as best we can, in order to help us deal with your enquiry most effectively please ensure you take note of the following information.

The Planning Department will not be able to investigate matters which are;

  • solely of a civil nature (boundary disputes)
  • purely related to noise or other environmental disturbance (please refer to our Environmental Health Team
  • property which appears to be unsafe (please refer to our Building Control Team

The following are also links to sources of information which may assist your understanding of the planning process, whether a development is a "permitted development" and does or does not require permission and other planning regulations. - Government gateway to planning information throughout the UK - Free independent planning advice to those who cannot afford to pay

How do I make a complaint about an unauthorised development?

Complaints are only accepted in writing through the Planning Enforcement Complaint Form unless the complaint relates to an urgent matter, such as where the fabric of a listed building is at risk. It helps us if you submit photographs.

See our Enforcement Complaint FAQ's [pdf 45kb] for more information on how we investigate the issues.  We do not give out details of complainants so your complaint will remain confidential.

​Enforcement Register

All the formal Notices issued in Brighton & Hove are published in the Enforcement Register (updated 23/02/2017)

Note - The Enforcement Register has been updated to appear in date order. Please press Ctrl+F to search for a particular address.

This Enforcement Register is in alphabetical order by street/road name. It shows all formal Notices other than those issued within the last 2 working days. The file has been uploaded as a spreadsheet so you can search it more easily.

If you are unable to find the notice or address you want, please call the Enforcement Service on 01273 292222.

Enforcement Policy

The Planning Enforcement Policy [1MB pdf] includes the aims and objectives of the service; the approach taken and the options available to the service; and what the complainant can expect.

When can the Team take action?

In some cases the Enforcement Team may not be able to take action. For example:

  • When the work or change of use falls within nationally defined ‘permitted development’ rules. (Do I need Planning Permission?)
  • Where an advert benefits from ‘deemed consent’ by the advert regulations.
  • Where breaches of planning control are immune from enforcement action because a number of years have now passed (10 years, or 4 years for a self-contained dwelling).
  • The works are considered ‘de minimis,’ i.e. too minor to fall under the scope of planning control.
  • It is not expedient to take action.
  • Because the work has planning permission (check the Planning Register).

We cannot accept anonymous complaints as it means we cannot verify particular aspects of the complaint at a later stage e.g. location, nature of breach etc.

The Investigations and Enforcement Team

The Team investigates and enforces against alleged breaches of planning control.  Often this process involves negotiating rather than proceeding automatically to the service of legal notices.  Examples of the types of allegation we investigate include:

  • Unauthorised extensions to a property.
  • Unauthorised changes in the use of land or buildings. (Use class information and associated policies)
  • Unauthorised demolition of or alterations to listed buildings or buildings within a conservation area.
  • Works not in accordance with an approval or where conditions have not been complied with.
  • Unauthorised display of an advert.
  • Land or buildings which have been neglected or which are an eyesore.
Display events?: