How to apply for planning permission - all applications
- If you have an Agent, please ask them to submit your application online via the national Planning Portal. It saves money and paperwork.
- The Portal identifies the correct form, fee and supporting information. Pay online, and there is no photocopying. See the video tutorials.
- The Portal will help create a Site Plan.
- A Design and Access Statement can be completed using Brighton & Hove's DAS template.
- Please follow the simple, nationally recognised standards for online submissions, which include the required file sizes and formats. (Note we may be unable to register applications that do not meet these standards).
- The Portal has an online Help Centre to assist if you are having trouble submitting an application. You can also email their support team at - firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you email the Portal, they ask for the following information:
A one-line summary of the query/problem in the e-mail subject line;
Where in the Portal the problem occurred
What action was in progress immediately prior to the problem occuring
A description of the difficulties that the problem causes, including any error messages
Please check your application thoroughly before sending it to us, as we will return it to you if there are errors or omissions.
The information we need in order to accept your application depends on the type of application. The following links set out our requirements. If we do not receive the correct information, we will be unable to validate or register your application.
- full planning permission applications
- householder planning applications
- advertisement applications
- certificate of lawfulness applications
- consent for demolition in a conservation area applications
- listed building applications
- outline planning applications
- removal or variation of condition applications
- approval of reserved matters applications
- approval of details reserved by condition applications (discharging a condition)
- telecommunications applications
- agricultural development applications
Planning application fees are set by the Government and vary according to the application type visit the Planning Portal's fee calculator, or see their fee table (updated July 2014). Check with Development Control if you are not sure.
Applying by post
Download and print the Planning application forms & guidance and send your application to:
Development Control, Brighton & Hove City Council, Kings House. Hove, BN3 2LS
If you are not sure which form to use for your paper application, or how many copies you need to send in, please contact Development Control.