Full planning permission local requirements
Please see the required standards for on-line submissions which includes the required files sizes and format to submit documents and drawings electronically.
For further information about Validation Requirements please visit the Department for Communities and Local Government website http://www.communities.gov.uk/corporate/ and refer to the ‘Guidance on Information Requirements and Validation’ document.
Summary of National and Local Requirements
1 copy of all drawings and supporting documents is required for applications that are not submitted online
- completed form with signed and dated
- relevant ownership certificate
- relevant agricultural holdings certificate
- site location plan
- block plan
- other plans and drawings necessary to describe the application
- Design and Access Statement :Required for all Major applications, the provision of one or more dwelling and/or where the floor space to be created by the development is 100 square metres or more
- north point - required for the site location plan and block plan.
- paper size and an appropriate scale bar indicating a minimum of 0-10 metres, or an appropriate scale bar for plans and drawings at 1:1, 1:10 and 1:20 required for all plans and drawings.
- block plan (at a scale 1:500) showing all adjoining properties and any proposed extensions and new build hatched
- floor plans (existing and proposed at a scale of 1:100)
- complete elevations (existing and proposed at a scale of 1:100) of the ground level and overall height and elevation details of all adjoining/adjacent properties are required for new build developments
- extended contextual elevations (at a scale 1:100 or 1:200) are required for all larger scale new build developments, based on Ordinance Survey datum
- photographs showing the adjoining/adjacent properties are required for substantial extensions which will be visable from the highway eg: 2 storey extensions or extensive roof alterations
- shop-front applications will require sections at a scale of 1:20 and photographs showing the shop-front in context with the building above and those either side SPD02 - Shop-Front Design [PDF 2.4mb]
- waste minimisation statement - only required for the following developments:
- 1-2 housing units (new build)
- 5-10 housing units (conversion)
- 80-200sq m non-residential floorspace (new build)
- For an explanatory note on how to write a statement please see SPD_on_Construction_and_Demolition_Waste_[PDF_1.2m...
- For further guidance see www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/swmp
- biodiversity checklist - a first impression checklist is required for Full Planning applications (this may trigger a further survey) - Biodiversity Checklist [Word 50kb].doc
- sustainability statement/checklist a completed sustainability checklist will be required for ALL residential applications involving new build and conversions. In addition to this one (1) hard copy of the checklist will be required. For guidance on how to complete and submit a checklist please visit sustainability checklist. See also SPD08 – Sustainable Building Design, Chapter 2 - SU2 [PDF 1.4mb]
- tree survey/arboricultural statement for all applications involving building works within 5 metres of a tree - Chapter 3 - QD16 Trees and hedgerows[PDF 2.1mb]
- ventilation/extraction details and technical details including acoustic details required for applications including commercial extraction flues and all changes of use to A3, A4 and A5
- technical/acoustic details for air conditioning units
- technical details and specifications required for applications which are solely for solar panels, sun pipes etc
- details of any lighting scheme, including a light pollution assessment required for all applications that involve any external lighting scheme
- supporting planning statement required for all major applications and at the applicant's discretion for all other applications
- transport assessment or statement (as required by the council, please seek advice before submitting your application) Chapter 1 - TR1 Development & demand for travel [PDF 882kb]
- retail assessment (as required by the council, please seek advice before submitting your application) where new and additional retail floor space is provided - please see Chapter 6 - SR1 and SR2 [PDF 2mb]
- noise impact assessment as required in line with the guidance
- sunlight/daylight assessment required for all major new build applications and tall buildings (6 storey or over 18 metres) - SPG15 - Tall Buildings [PDF 428kb]
- tall buildings statement required for all major new build applications and tall buildings (6 storey or over 18 metres) - SPG15 - Tall Buildings [PDF 428kb]
- flood risk assessment for applications within the Environment Agency Flood Risk Zone
- land contamination report required for contaminated sites and sites used for industrial purposes. Please see guidance
- photographs and photo montages - at the applicant's discretion
- fee calculator
For MAJOR APPLICATIONS: One (1) hard copy of all plans and documents will be required for ALL major applications not submitted electronically. In addition two (2) CDs are required (each with the full plans and documents). Click on the link above for full details regarding major applications. For further clarification please contact the planning department.
If you are applying for more than one type of application eg: Householder and Listed Building Consent please see the separate local requirements and supply the relevant information for each application type.
Additional Information for Window Applications for commercial properties and multiple residential units
Please provide one (1) copy of the following:
- Clear elevation drawings of all elevations that form part of the application
- Identify with a cross all the windows and doors to be replaced on the elevation drawings
- Mark each of the windows/doors in the elevation drawings with a number and put that number against the corresponding window on the product survey sheet (this is normally supplied by the Window Company)
- The product survey sheet must provide details of the design and method of openings of all windows/doors
- Technical details showing the style and sections of the replacement windows/doors