Building control




What we do

The main purpose of Building Control is to ensure that all building work complies with the Building Regulations and other allied legislation. This is done by checking plans of proposed work and also by inspecting the work on site.

Building Control also investigates buildings and other structures which may be dangerous to ensure that the necessary steps are taken to remove the danger. We also control the way in which buildings are demolished to protect the safety of neighbours and the general public.

In addition Building Control administers and enforces the requirements of the Safety at Sports Grounds Act 1975 and the subsequent Fire Safety and Safety of Places of Sport Act 1987

You can visit us in person at the City Direct Office in Hove Town Hall (View street map for Hove Town Hall) or write to us at:

Building Control
Brighton & Hove City Council
Room 201, Kings House
Grand Avenue Hove BN3 2SR

For further information go to our Building Control contact page.

Renovating Your Home

In conjunction with the LABC we have published a useful guide to 'Renovating Your Home'. In addition to general advice, the guide aims to show how your project may be affected by the Planning and Building Regulations.

Guide to improving your home leaflet cover 

Payment online

You can now pay your Building Regulation Fees online.

Run down the list 'payment types' on the left hand side of the page and hit the 'Building Reg App Charge' heading. Follow the instructions on the page that then comes up.

Should you have problems please contact: 01273 292485

Building Control fee Scales from 1 April 2014

View the Building Control Fee Scales (PDF 796kb) which were revised from 1 April 2014.

If you still require details of fees operating prior to this date please call us 01273 292050.

Building Control Register

You can now search for Building Control records which Brighton & Hove City Council hold on computer and post date 1 January 2000.

To do this, please go to Building Control Register and check for properties which have had Statutory Notices served under the Building Regulations and Section 36 of the Building Act 1984 view our Statutory Notices (PDF 121kb)

Other information

Scroll down or click on the heading you want:

Planning Permission

Where you intend to carry out building work that affects the appearance of your building or change its use you may require planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Acts.

If you are carrying out any work to a 'Listed Building' then you must apply to for listed building consent under the Town and Country Planning Acts. You can find out if your property is listed on our 'Listed buildings in Brighton & Hove' page