The Volks Railway was the first public electric railway in the world. It was opened on 4 August 1883 by Magnus Volk. Find out more about the history of the railway.
The railway line along Brighton seafront is open to the public every year between Easter and September. Today the railway can carry up to eighty passengers along the beach for one and a quarter miles.
Train times and station information
The Volks Railway will be closed due to national strike action on Thursday 10 July .
The Volks Railway opens every year from Easter to the end of September.
Trains run every day until the end of the season weather permitting. There are also occasionally planned closures due to major events on the seafront, for example the London to Brighton bike ride. These are because of the high numbers of people who use the 12 crossings over the railway tracks to the beach on these days. We'll add details of any closures to this web page.
- Trains start at 10.15am (except on Mondays and Fridays when they start at 11.15am).
- Trains run every 15 minutes after starting at half past, quarter to, on the hour and quarter past until the last train of the day.
- The last trains are at 5pm Monday to Friday and at 6pm on weekends and bank holidays.
- VERA will also be operating ‘late running’ on six Sunday evenings in 2014
Train times are the starting times from the end stations, Aquarium Station and Black Rock (Marina) Station. The full train journey from Aquarium Station to Black Rock (Marina) Station takes about 12 minutes in total. Allow 30 minutes for a return journey.
The stations are all accessible by wheelchair. Wheelchairs must be folded to fit on the trains.
Public toilets with disabled facilities are at each station. There are also toilets in the children's playground at Paston Place, by Halfway Station.
Coach and car parking spaces are available near the Black Rock (Marina) Station along Madeira Drive.
2014 Volks Railway tickets and fares
Buy tickets at the railway station before departure. If you want to travel in a group of 10 or more people then please contact the Volks Railway office to pre-book. Special group rates are available.
Other special rates
- Family Saver Ticket: 2 adults and 2 children (up to 14) £9.30
- VERA Members can buy a return ticket for 0.50p on presentation of a valid membership card.
- Group Rates and Schools: Available for pre-booked parties of 10 or more. Adult return £2.70, child return £1.70, child return + talk £2.70. Contact us to make your booking. Find out more information online regarding Volks Railway school bookings.
Changes to service times & temporary closure information
As per Section I (Timetables and Train Services) of the Heritage Railway Association guidelines, the railway does occasionally close at very short notice due to unforeseeable circumstances and during severe weather. Whilst we do make every effort to avoid such closures and to advertise them as widely as possible, such difficulties are a part of running such a historic railway along a very busy seafront. If you are in doubt, please don't hesitate to contact the railway.
Changes to service times and temporary closures will be advertised at the Blackrock (Marina) and Aquarium stations, if and when they arise. Information about the current service can also be obtained by calling the railway office on (01273) 292718.
Frequently Asked Questions
How old is the railway?
129 years old.
Where does it go to?
The railway only has three stops, the Aquarium Station, Paston Place (at Peter Pan's play ground half way along Madeira Drive) and Black Rock Station which is only five minutes walk from Brighton Marina.
For more information, please telephone us on 01273 292718
You can visit our volunteers' association, Volk's Electric Railway Association (VERA). We hold volunteering days on Mondays, please contact the office for further information.