Breeze up to the Downs!
Breeze up to the Downs is a network of three bus services linking the city with some of its most popular countryside destinations, within the South Downs National Park.
These services are provided by a partnership between Brighton & Hove City Council, The National Trust and the South Downs National Park Authority.The buses run every weekend throughout the year.
From 4 October 2014 until 18 April 2015 the Breeze buses will run every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday – including Boxing Day and New Year’s Day (but not Christmas Day).
- Service 77 to Devil's Dyke Leaflet [PDF - 628 KB]
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park Leaflet [PDF - 1.3MB]
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon Leaflet [PDF - 1.36MB]
- View the winter timetables for all three bus routes
The Winter edition leaflet for each route provides times, fares and information about special events and ideas for walks.
Important: Bus 77 Diverted
Owing to problems on the A259 seafront road west of Brighton Pier, service 77 will start from Old Steine stop Q, which is on the east side of the Old Steine Gardens, opposite Club Revenge. Old Steine is directly opposite Brighton Pier. Bus 77 will also pick up at Old Steine stop U (on the southwest side). Seafront bus stops and Clarence Square will not be served. The nearest alternative stops are Old Steine stops Q or U, Churchill Square stop H or the Clock Tower in Queens Road (stop L). This diversion will apply until at least 30 November 2014 and we are sorry for any inconvenience it causes.
To check how the buses are running, please go to www.buses.co.uk or phone Brighton & Hove Buses on 01273 886200
- Service 77 to Devil’s Dyke: £2.90 single, £4.50 Return
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park: £2.40 single and £4.50 Return
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon: £2.90 single, £4.50 Return
- Return tickets can be used to return from Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchling Beacon: so they are ideal for walkers too!
- Special return fare of £2.90 on Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon from any bus stop on Ditchling Road.
- Bus Pass holders travel free.
- Up to two children per adult travel free.
- Discovery Tickets offer one day’s unlimited bus travel in Sussex, Surrey and East Hampshire. Issued and accepted by all bus companies: just buy on board the first bus you catch! Family (5 people, max 2 adults) £16, Adult £8.50, Child £7.
- All SAVER tickets are accepted. You can also buy City SAVER (£4.70) and Network SAVER (£7) on board the bus.
Train special offer
To encourage people from further afield not to drive to the area, people arriving by train can buy two single or return journeys for the price of one. If you're travelling on your own you can get a third off the bus fare. Just show your rail tickets to the bus driver to take advantage of this great offer.
Please note your train tickets must be valid for travel to Brighton or Hove. This special offer does not apply to bus "Discovery" tickets.
South Downs Bus Walks
A series of six leaflets offering 18 easy-to-follow walks on the stunning South Downs around Brighton & Hove can be downloaded. All walks are easily accessible from the city’s frequent main bus network (each walk description details the relevant bus info).
Or please contact us if you would like us to send you a set of these leaflets at email@example.com or phone 01273 292480.
Comments or Questions about Breeze: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (01273) 292480
Journey planning and real time bus information in and around Brighton & Hove: www.journeyon.co.uk
Journey planning and bus timetables: www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk or phone traveline on 0871 200 22 33
Enjoying the South Downs: www.southdowns.gov.uk/discover