Breeze up to the Downs!
Breeze up to the Downs is a network of three bus services linking the city with some of its most popular countryside destinations, within the South Downs National Park.
These services are provided by a partnership between Brighton & Hove City Council, The National Trust and the South Downs National Park Authority. The buses to Devil's Dyke and Stanmer Park run seven days a week and the Ditchling Beacon buses run at weekends.
- Service 77 to Devil's Dyke timetable and travel guide (PDF 1.02MB)
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park timetable and travel guide (PDF 925KB)
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon timetable and travel guide (PDF 1.07MB)
- View all the Summer Breeze bus timetables (PDF 660KB).
High Summer 2015 (14 June – 31 August)
Open top buses will work most journeys on the 77 route to Devil’s Dyke. The 77 now runs seven days a week, with buses every 30 minutes until early evening. With the last bus back from Devil’s Dyke not until 8.35pm there’s a perfect opportunity to enjoy the views on a sultry summer’s evening too!
The 78 to Stanmer Park continues to run seven days a week and the 79 will breeze you up to Ditchling Beacon any Saturday, Sunday or bank holiday throughout the year.
Similar to High Summer, except that the 77 is not open top, runs less often and finishes early evening.
From 14 September, the Monday to Friday 08.20 journey from Old Steine will be leaving at 08.12 and running 8 minutes earlier between Old Steine and Brighton Station. Times from Brighton Station – and from all other points along the route to Stanmer Park - will remain the same as now.
Brighton Station Bus Stops for the 78 & 79
Services 78 and 79 to Stanmer Park and Ditchling Beacon now leave from stop D, which is in Queens Road just south of the main station exit - just beyond the Ibis Hotel.
From 1 October 2015 until 16 April 2016
The 77 to Devil’s Dyke and 78 to Stanmer Park will still run seven days a week, with the 79 to Ditchling Beacon running at weekends. The 77, 78 and 79 all run on Boxing Day, New Year’s Day and other bank holidays – but not on Christmas Day. The Autumn/Winter timetables will be published early in September.
- Service 77 to Devil’s Dyke: £2.90 single, £4.50 Return
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park: £2.40 single and £4.50 Return
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon: £2.90 single, £4.50 Return
- Return tickets can be used to return from Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchling Beacon: so they are ideal for walkers too!
- Special return fare of £2.90 on Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon from any bus stop on Ditchling Road.
- Bus Pass holders travel free.
- Up to two children per adult travel free.
- Discovery Tickets offer one day’s unlimited bus travel in Sussex, Surrey and East Hampshire. Issued and accepted by all bus companies: just buy on board the first bus you catch! Family (5 people, max 2 adults) £16, Adult £8.50, Child £7.
- All SAVER tickets are accepted. You can also buy City SAVER (£4.70) and Network SAVER (£7) on board the bus.
Train special offer
To encourage people from further afield not to drive to the area, people arriving by train can buy two single or return journeys for the price of one. If you're travelling on your own you can get a third off the bus fare. Just show your rail tickets to the bus driver to take advantage of this great offer.
Please note your train tickets must be valid for travel to Brighton or Hove. This special offer does not apply to bus "Discovery" tickets.
Visiting the South Downs
The South Downs National Park has produced a variety of publications that offer information on walks and cycle rides, places to visit and eat, and upcoming events. Check the South Downs National Park website for more information.
Please contact us if you would like us to send you a set of these leaflets at email@example.com or phone 01273 292480.
- Comments or Questions about Breeze: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01273 292480
- Journey planning and real time bus information in and around Brighton & Hove
- Journey planning and bus timetables around the South East or phone traveline on 0871 200 22 33
- Enjoying the South Downs