Breeze up to the Downs!
The South Downs by bus
Breeze up to the Downs is a network of three bus services 77, 78 and 79. The buses link the city with some of its most popular countryside destinations within the South Downs National Park.
These services are provided by a partnership between Brighton & Hove City Council, The National Trust, the South Downs National Park Authority and Brighton & Hove Buses.
Did you know you can breeze up to the Downs every Saturday, Sunday and bank holiday except Christmas Day?
The 77, 78 and 79 buses to Devil’s Dyke, Stanmer Park and Ditching Beacon will get you out to the stunning South Downs from the city centre in fewer than 30 minutes.
Autumn / Winter timetables from Sunday 17 September 2017 to 21 April 2018
All three Breeze bus services will run every Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday (except Christmas Day).
Full details of times, tickets and discounts at pubs and tea rooms can be found in the individual route guides. Please see below:
Spring / Summer Timetables from 22 April to 15 September 2018.
Buses will continue to run every weekend on all three routes. In addition the 77 to Devil's Dyke will run every day of the week from 18 June to 31 August. Please click here to view the full spring / summer timetable for all the Breeze bus services (2.05MB).
- Service 77 to Devil’s Dyke: £3 single, £5 return
- Service 78 to Stanmer Park: £2.60 single and £5 return
- Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon: £3 single, £5 return
- Return tickets can be used to return from Devil's Dyke, Stanmer Park or Ditchling Beacon: so they are ideal for walkers too!
- Special return fare of £3 on Service 79 to Ditchling Beacon from any bus stop on Ditchling Road.
- £2 single or return from Wild Park (Ditchling Road, Hollingbury) to Ditchling Beacon
- £2 single or return from Tongdean Lane (on Dyke Road Avenue) to Devil's Dyke.
- Bus Pass holders travel free.
- Up to two children per adult travel free.
- Discovery Tickets offer one day’s unlimited bus travel in Sussex, Surrey, Kent and East Hampshire. Issued and accepted by all bus companies: just buy on board the first bus you catch! Family (5 people, max 2 adults) £16, Adult £8.50, Child £7.
- NetworkSAVER issued and accepted on all three routes. CitySAVER is not valid for travel to Devil's Dyke or Ditchling Beacon
Train special offer
To encourage people from further afield not to drive to the area, people arriving by train can buy two single or return journeys for the price of one. If you're travelling on your own you can get a third off the bus fare. Just show your rail tickets to the bus driver to take advantage of this great offer.
Please note your train tickets must be valid for travel to Brighton or Hove. This special offer does not apply to 'SAVER' or Discovery tickets.
Visiting the South Downs
The South Downs National Park has produced a variety of publications that offer information on walks and cycle rides, places to visit and eat, and upcoming events. Check the South Downs National Park website for more information.
Please contact us if you would like us to send you a set of these leaflets at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01273 292480.
- Comments or questions about Breeze: email@example.com or phone 01273 292480
- Journey planning and real time bus information in and around Brighton & Hove
- Journey planning and bus timetables around the South East or phone traveline on 0871 200 22 33
- Enjoying the South Downs