A vision for Valley Gardens
The Valley Gardens project area runs between St Peter's Church (St Peter's Place) to just south of Church Street.
The project focuses on improving the improving the green spaces and the surrounding roads and footpaths.
The majority of the funding for this project comes from external sources.
To see the area included in the project download the Valley Gardens map (PDF 1.9MB)
Our vision for Valley Gardens
Our vision is for Valley Gardens to become a key area of Brighton & Hove that adds to the city’s appeal.
The scheme will provide a more attractive and enjoyable public space for all to enjoy.
The scheme's focus on travel and transport will
- assist in improving road safety, air quality, and flood risk management
- improve access to public transport services and ease of movement throughout the area
- provide safer walking and cycling links throughout the area
- provide up-to-date traffic signals equipment and renew existing, poor condition, highway infrastructure
What's happening now
A highways consultancy carried out an independent review of the Valley Gardens project. The review looked at the proposed road and footpath layouts. The report went to the Environment, Transport & Sustainability Committee in November 2016.
- noted and accepted the outcome of the Independent Review of the project.
- approved the preliminary Highway Design as the Preferred Design/Scheme for Valley Gardens and authorised officers to progress to the detailed Highway Technical Design stage, including preparation of Traffic Regulation Orders.
- agreed to support ongoing design work for the public/green space and agrees to consider proposals, including those for the Mazda Fountain, at a future Committee meeting.
Funding for the project
The majority of the funding for this project comes from external sources including
- Local Growth Fund grant - £8 million
- Local Transport Plan capital programme - £1.373 million
- Section 106 and other external contributions - £0.414 million
The total approved capital budget is £9.787 million.
Find out more
Valley Gardens is a conservation area. Get details from our planning service about the Valley Gardens conservation area.
To contact us about the Valley Gardens project, please email email@example.com.