Closing a road for an event

Events on the street

If you are planning an event on your street you need to get the permission of our Outdoor Events Team 

If your event requires the closure of a road you must send in your application at least 12 weeks before the event

Download our application form (Word 119KB) and petition form (Word 51KB).

Community street parties and play streets

Please visit our street parties page for more information.

Community parades

A number of community parades are held each year within the city. To ensure the safety of participants it is often necessary to temporarily close roads to traffic while the parade passes along its route. Such closures require a temporary traffic regulation order and it should be noted that any costs associated with the closure, diversion signing and stewarding will have to be born by the event organisers. An initial application can be made to our Outdoor Events Team.


Brighton & Hove City Council and Sussex Police work in close partnership when considering applications to close roads to general traffic to facilitate events on the Public Highway, with all applications being considered by both agencies.