Street parties

Local residents or community groups can apply to close the road to hold street parties in their area. We welcome street parties and understand they can bring great benefits to a local community. We appreciate that these events are often low budget with food and facilities being provided by residents.

Organising a street party

To help you hold a successful street party we have put together a street party application form (PDF 77kb) for you to complete. We ask for this form to be sent to us at least four weeks before your planned event. We will confirm when we have received your application and then respond again when we have assessed your application.

We do not charge for assisting local resident-organised street parties. We only charge if there is a commercial or business element to the event, the cost of this is currently £306.

We will advise you through the steps you need to take but you will need to:

  • carry out consultation with all residents in the street using the Petition to Allow Road Closure (PDF 21kb)
  • apply to the council for a formal road closure notice
  • put out the correct signs and barriers to make sure your road closure is safe

MS Word versions of the street party application form and petition are also available to download at the bottom of this web page.

The most important factor in arranging the street party is that everyone in the proposed road is asked for their opinion. This includes all residents and all businesses. A signed petition must be produced to the council when requesting a road closure showing that the majority of people in the street support the closure.

Some roads in the city are not able to be closed as doing so can cause problems with rerouting traffic or emergency access. If a road closure is not possible for these reasons we recommend looking at using an alternative local road.

We need to coordinate road closures across the city, so we need to have all the applications in before we can let you know about each individual request.

Please contact us if you want to talk through anything or would like further advice.  You can contact us at  or on (01273) 293366.

More information

If you have a street party planned why not look at our food at outdoor events page to help you save money and save waste.

Our street party application form guides you through what you need to do and has additional information at the end of the form.You can also find useful information and templates for signs at and government advice can be found on the communities and local government page.