Visitor Permits

If you live in a controlled parking zone within the city, you can buy visitor parking permits for that controlled parking zone.

You can give these to people visiting you, so they can park in permit or shared use parking bays within the controlled parking zone.

To apply for visitor permits online you need to:

  • give us two recent proofs of address - dated within the last three months. You can scan copies or take photos
  • sign up for an account with us as part of the application
  • be a resident of Brighton & Hove over the age of 17

It will take up to five days for us to send you your permits. If you need them sooner take your proofs of address to the Hove customer service centre.

​​Pricing and permit allocations

The amount of visitor permits you can buy depends on which zone you live in:

Zone Amount allowed Cost
U and W 50 £2.20
Y and Z 25 £3.50
M 50 £3.50
B and D 50 £3.00
All other zones 50 £3.00

See how to fill out and use a visitor permit in our video below :


Frequently asked questions

How do I apply and how do I get more?

To ensure that we only issue visitor permits to residents who live in Brighton & Hove you will need to provide two proofs of address dated within 3 months with your application.

If you're visiting the parking information centre or applying by post then

You'll need to return your completed application to us along with two proofs of address dated within 3 months.

Please send in copies of the documents do not send in originals.

How long do the permits last for?

You have a yearly allocation and visitor permits are valid as stated on the permit. The permits are valid for a minimum of 12 months. Permits cannot be used after the expiry date printed on them and cannot be refunded.

The permit allows parking for one calendar day.

What do I do if I move address?

If you have moved address you should let the council know immediately. You'll need to provide us with proof of your new address. If you have valid permits we may be able to swap them for permits valid for your new parking zone.

We do not issue refunds for visitor permit unless you are moving outside of the Controlled Parking Zone and the permits are still valid. This means only if you are moving to an area that does not have permit bays.

I have expired permits, what do I do?

Visitor permits are non-transferable and non-refundable. Expired permits cannot be used, please ensure you do not buy more than you need.

Can I have more visitor permits once I have used my allocation?

We do not issue any more permits except in extreme circumstances such as a serious illness.

If you think that you should have more permits and there are mitigating circumstances please e-mail

I have received a Penalty Charge Notice when using a visitor permit what do I do?

You should check that you have used the permit in accordance with the conditions of use.

You should decide whether to:

Back to top