If you live in a controlled parking zone in the city, you can buy visitor parking permits which your visitors can use.
With a visitor parking permit your guests can park in permit bays or shared-use parking bays in the zone where you live.
- Find your address on our zone map to find out which zone you live in.
To apply for visitor parking permits online you need to:
- sign up for an account with us as part of the application
- be a resident of Brighton & Hove, over the age of 17
- provide two recent proofs of address dated within the last three months. You can scan copies or take photos.
Pricing and permit allocations
The amount of visitor permits you can buy depends on which zone you live in:
|U, W and S||50||£2.20|
|Y and Z||25||£3.50|
|B and D||50||£2.60|
|All other zones||50||£3.00|
See how to fill out and use a visitor permit in our video below.
Frequently asked questions
- How do I apply and how do I get more?
- How do I book my virtual visitor permits?
- How long do the permits last for?
- What do I do if I cannot collect the visitor permits myself?
- What do I do if I move address?
- My visitor permits have expired what do I do?
- Can I have more visitor permits when I have used my allocation?
- How do I use the visitor permits?
- What are the terms and conditions of use?
- I have received a Penalty Charge Notice when using a visitor permit, what do I do?
How do I apply and how do I get more?
To ensure we only issue visitor permits to Brighton & Hove residents, you will need to provide two proofs of address dated within three months of your application.
- Buy visitor parking permits online If you live in zones A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, J, M, N, O, Q, R, T, U, W
- Buy visitor parking permits online If you live in zones F (new extension), I, K, S, V, Y, Z
If you're visiting the customer service centre or applying by post, then:
- please complete the repeat request for visitor permit application form if you've bought permits for your address before;
- otherwise, please print and complete this application form.
You'll need to return your completed application to us along with two proofs of address, dated within three months.
How do I book virtual visitor permits?
If you're in zones F (new extension), I, K, S, V, Y or Z, you will be able to purchase virtual visitor permits. This means you don't need to display anything in your vehicle but enforcement officers will be able to see a record of your visitor permits once you've booked them. To purchase virtual visitor permits, you need to login to your online permit account at www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/permits-login and go to 'Visitor parking' in the left hand side menu.
You will be able to purchase visitor permit credits on this screen. Please make sure that you have registered a debit or credit card before hand so that you can select this as a payment method. You can do this by selecting 'Payment details' in the list of menu options.
Once you have purchased your visitor permits you need to book them. There is a link at the top of 'Visitor parking' screen which takes you to a booking screen. You'll need to know your visitor's vehicle registration number and the date they are going to arrive. Once the booking has been confirmed you'll receive an email with all the booking details.
How long do the permits last for?
The permits are valid for a minimum of 12 months. Every resident is entitled to a yearly allocation, which are valid as stated on each scratchcard. Permits cannot be used after the expiry date printed on them and cannot be refunded.
What do I do if I move address?
If you have moved address you should let the council know immediately. You'll need to provide us with proof of your new address. If you still have valid permits for your old address, we may be able to swap them for permits valid within your new parking zone.
We only issue refunds for visitor permits if you are moving outside of the Controlled Parking Zone and your permits are still valid. To qualify, you must be moving to an area that does not have permit bays.
I have expired permits, what do I do?
Visitor permits are non-transferable and non-refundable. Expired permits cannot be used. Please ensure you do not buy more than you need.
Can I have more visitor permits once I have used my allocation?
We do not issue more permits than you are allowed except in extreme circumstances, such as a serious illness.
If you think that you should have more permits and there are mitigating circumstances please e-mail email@example.com.
I have received a Penalty Charge Notice when using a visitor permit what do I do?
You should check that you have used the permit in accordance with the conditions of use.
You should decide whether to: