Drivers now have the option of paying for parking by phone in all on-street bays and pay & display car parks.
PayByPhone is a quick and secure way to pay for parking. Instead of having to find the right change for a pay and display machine, you can simply use your mobile phone to pay and parking is charged to your credit or debit card.
The scheme is designed to make it easier for people. If you choose to pay by phone you won’t need to find exact change to put in the machine, but if you prefer to pay the traditional way, that option will still be there.
If you have not used PayByPhone before, you need to register your vehicle registration number and payment card details with them. You can register on the PayByPhone website or on the free PayByPhone app or mobile website. Once you have registered, you can use PayByPhone to pay to park wherever you see the signs on or around the Pay and Display machines.
Paying to park with PayByPhone
Using PayByPhone is easy. Once you have parked and located the PayByPhone signs nearby, you either load the mobile website or app, or call the number on the sign, and take the following steps:
- enter the five digit location number that is printed on the PayByPhone sign where you are parked
- enter how long you want to park for
- enter the three digit security number from the back of your registered payment card
That's it - the parking is paid for. There's nothing to display in your car as Civil Enforcement Officers check vehicle registrations of people who've paid by phone on their hand-held devices.
There is a service charge of 15p for PayByPhone transactions. This covers the cost of providing the service and processing the payment. For an additional 15p, there is a further option of text messages to remind the driver just before their parking session expires.
What are the benefits?
- you never need to find change for the Pay and Display machines again
- once your registered and you can use PayByPhone for all future parking sessions
- you can receive optional text message reminders before your parking ends so you can get back to your vehicle or top up your parking in plenty of time
- you can top up your parking session by phone without having to go back to your vehicle
- it’s quick, easy and safe to pay using PayByPhone
PaybyPhone parking is now available in all controlled parking zones (CPZs) where pay & display parking is permitted.
It is also available in the following car parks:
- Black Rock
- Carlton Hill
- Haddington Street
- High Street
- King Alfred Leisure Centre
- Norton Road
- Oxford Court
- Rottingdean Marine Cliffs
- Rottingdean West Street
Stickers have been installed in the areas where PayByPhone is available and they include simple instructions on how to use it.
PayByPhone is also widely available across London and in other areas of the UK such as Manchester, Lincoln and Tunbridge Wells.