WalkWell Mentored Walks for People Affected by Cancer
Brighton & Hove Healthwalks has joined up with the Macmillan Horizon Centre to help local people affected by cancer to be more active. The Horizon Centre is a truly inspirational place where anyone affected by cancer in Brighton & Hove – either directly or as a family member or friend – can access a whole range of holistic support and services such as counselling, alternative therapies, physical activity sessions, cooking sessions and social events.
At Healthwalks we know that getting a cancer diagnosis and going through treatment can be a hugely challenging time. Staying active through and after cancer treatment is very beneficial as the Macmillan report 'Move More' demonstrates; but some people may feel that they need extra support to do that; so we’ve come together with Macmillan at the Horizon Centre to bring in new services and ways to get involved.
Weekly WalkWell Healthwalk at Queens Park
There's now a weekly Healthwalk starting at Queens Park Cafe at 1pm on Fridays and finishing at the centre for tea and chat in the cafe.
About WalkWell Mentors
"My Mentor has been fantastic, making sure I am coping OK with the walk and letting me walk at my own pace (which is rather slow). She has also been excellent at giving information and maintaining contact. I am feeling much more energised and positive about the future." - WalkWell Mentee
WalkWell provides Mentors with people affected by cancer to provide one to one support to help them be active.
The scheme offers:
- Help to find the right Healthwalk or local activity for you.
- A mentor to attend the first few walks/sessions with you until you feel more confident.
- The opportunity to get the physical & mental benefits of exercise during or after treatment.
- Help to manage your weight.
- A great reason to get out of the house and into the fresh air.
- The chance to make new friends.
- The opportunity to find out more about the wonderful places to walk in Brighton & Hove
We would love to hear from people who are interested in volunteering to help local people affected by cancer to benefit from WalkWell.
- Find out how you can become a volunteer Healthwalk Leader on our weekly Horizon Centre Healthwalk, or a WalkWell Mentor.
- For more information and other volunteering opportunities please visit the Macmillan volunteering website
Please contact Michaela Rossman at the Macmillan Horizon Centre on 01273 468770 or email email@example.com.