Activities for Older People
We run a variety of programmes across the city. All are low cost, and suitable for beginners and wide range of abilities.
Click on the links below get get more details on days, times and locations.
- Active Forever - range of sports & activities for older people (including tables tennis, boccia and tai chi)
- In Shape for Life - inclusive fitness sessions and healthy living advice, helping you to manage weight and improve your fitness.
- Healthwalks - free, volunteer led walks across the city for all fitness and ability levels.
- Get Active Locally - low cost fitness classes and activity sessions for adults (Pilates, Zumba etc)
Through out the year we organise or support special events providing information on sport and activity for older people in the city. Keep checking this page for details of new events, or contact the team using the details below for more information.
How active should I be?
Keeping active is particularly important as you get older. It can help to maintain a healthy heart and lungs, keep you supple and help you lose weight. It's also a great way to beat stress and meet new people . Evidence suggests that people are getting less active and spend more time being sedentary whilst at work, or at home watching TV, playing computer games or travelling by car.
View the Chief Medical Officers’ recommendations for how much activity people should do each week:
If you have any concerns about starting physical activity consult your doctor first.
Further information to help you keep active
- Disability Sport
- The Leisure Card - 40% discount on selected activities at six Freedom Leisure sites in the city
- NHS Choices
- My Life directory lists services and organisations in Brighton and Hove offering support to older people wanting to keep active
- Search our local activity finder for local sport, dance and exercise sessions
- For information about activities in Sheltered Housing schemes in the Brighton & Hove area, please contact 01273 293030