Organising an event on council land
If you want to hold an event on land owned by the council, you will need permission from the Events Office. Before planning your event please contact us to make sure the area of land you want to use is available and suitable for the type of event you are proposing.
Here is some useful information about organising an event:
- anyone can organise an event
- an event can be anything from a sponsored walk or community picnic through to large-scale music or sporting spectaculars
- anywhere outside on public land can be considered a possible event site, eg a park, the beach, streets or the seafront
- you can have an event at any time of year
- Brighton & Hove City Council has introduced a new events fees and charges policy so please expect to be asked to pay a fee for the use of our land. Details can be found in the report, a link to which can be found below.
You will then need to complete an Outdoor Event Application Form (MS WORD 232KB) and return to us along with a comprehensive risk assessment for the event. Once the Events Office has approved your event and its location, you will need to obtain Public Liability Insurance, proof of which must be given to the Events Office.
The Events Office will then provide you with a consent document.
Brighton & Hove City Council is committed to managing the risks and environmental impacts of its activities, encouraging and supporting others to do the same and continuously improving the environment for the benefit of residents, businesses and visitors. Visit our Sustainable Events web page for further information.
If you wish to advertise your event you can hire advertising space on our lamppost advertising banners and our double crown poster sites [which are on the seafront between the Brighton & Hove boundaries, Upper and Lower Promenade].
How to contact us
Events Office Brighton & Hove City Council
The Flat, Brighton Centre
Brighton BN1 2GR
Tel: (01273) 292712
For further information on organising a safe event go to