Brighton & Hove City Council aim to ensure that all residents have access to affordable housing that enables a good quality of life.
The Housing Options Service aim to prevent people becoming homeless by providing advice and assistance to help people find a solution to their housing problem.
The Joint Housing Register is available to anyone 18 years of age or over who wishes to apply for a council or housing association property in the city. However, there is a shortage of social housing in Brighton & Hove and a huge demand for accommodation. This means that council and housing association properties are not widely available and usually only go to those who are in the most need.
What does the Housing Options service do?
Our Housing Options Team can:
- help you keep your existing home
- help you explore your housing options
- give advice on the council’s statutory duties
What services can Housing Options offer?
The Housing Options team offer a range of services to help people of all ages and circumstances. Where possible, we aim to make sure nobody actually becomes homeless. We do this by providing advice at an early stage about what housing options are available.
Who can the Housing Options service help?
We are able to provide advice to anybody who approaches the service. In some cases, we will give you information about other specialist agencies who will be better able to help you.
There are many situations where the Housing Options Team can help you in keeping your home. Examples include:
- negotiating with landlords over rent arrears and tenancy issues through our Housing Advice and Tenancy Relations service
- help and advice with paying your mortgage, including negotiating payment of mortgage debt
- assisting with claims for Housing Benefit and Local Housing Allowance
- offering advice and assistance if you are affected by domestic violence
- offering advice on neighbour nuisance
- offering advice on unfit properties
- referral to tenancy support services
- referral to supported housing schemes
- help to find accommodation in the private sector
- assessing applications from people who are homeless
- providing advice on maximising benefit income
How to contact the Housing Options service
First Floor, Bartholomew House
Brighton, BN1 1JP
Telephone (01273) 294400
The Housing Options telephone service is open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday.
If you have a housing emergency, there is also a drop-in service in Bartholomew Square, Brighton. This service is available between 9am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Please be aware that you may need to wait to see an adviser.