Housing Adaptations

If you or someone living in your home is disabled or ill you may need your home adapted to meet your needs - whether you own it, rent privately, or are a council or housing association tenant

Adaptations can give you better freedom of movement into and around your home and where necessary can also provide essential facilities within it. Adaptations include providing ramp access, adding handrails, widening doors, raising electrical sockets, replacing a bath with a level access shower, or installing special equipment for people with hearing or visual difficulties.

These adaptations may be funded or partially funded by the council, depending on your circumstances. For further information about financial charges please see our Paying for care webpage

There is a specialist team that provides occupational therapy for children and young people.

How do I get help?

In the first instance you'll need to make an application for social care. You can do this

Or you can contact the Access Point by: 

They will take details of the difficulties you are experiencing. Your needs will then be assessed by a disability professional, who will discuss the recommendations with you. If these include a housing adaptation, an Occupational Therapist (OT) from the Housing Adaptations team will contact you to arrange a visit. The OT will provide recommendations about the type of work required, discuss the design options with you and tell you what the next steps are.

If you have a general enquiry about a housing adaptation, you can contact us directly on:

Find out more

For more information about getting your home adapted, read our guides or go to the one of the web pages below: