Homemove - who can apply and how to apply

If you don't know your Homemove number, and are a council tenant, contact housing.customerservices@brighton-hove.gov.uk or call 01273 293030. If you are not a council tenant, call 01273 294400.

For further help:

Who can apply?

Brighton & Hove City Council and the housing associations in the city work together on a combined housing list - meaning that if you are looking for social housing in Brighton & Hove, you only have to make one application.

We operate Homemove, a choice based lettings scheme to let our properties - please see our Homemove page or visit www.homemove.org.uk for further details.

To be eligible for the Brighton & Hove Joint Housing Register, you must be in housing need and over 18. You can apply from anywhere in the country to be on the register, but people with a local connection to the city are given priority. Please note that rough sleepers in the city who cannot prove their local connection are not offered housing, but are offered help to move elsewhere.

There is a shortage of housing in Brighton & Hove and the demand far exceeds the supply - unfortunately, it is not possible for us to rehouse everyone who applies. There are thousands of households on our waiting list, meaning that there are likely to be a lot of people bidding for each available property and those in the most urgent housing need get the highest priority. Because of this, our housing options team give advice on what else you can do to find housing that suits you - see our housing options page for further information.

If you are subject to immigration control, you will need to provide us with a copy of your status papers. We will only be able to accept your application if:

  • you have refugee status, or
  • you have been granted exceptional leave to remain and are not subject to a ‘no recourse to public funds condition’, or
  • you have been granted indefinite leave to enter or remain, not subject to any limitation or condition (settled status), unless you have obtained leave on the basis of a sponsorship undertaking and have been resident in the UK for less than five years (unless your sponsor has died), or
  • you provide your worker registration card or proof of employment if you are a citizen from an A8 country

Follow this link for further information for refugees and asylum seekers.

How do I apply?

To apply for general needs or sheltered housing in Brighton & Hove, whether you are applying for the first time or a transfer applicant, you need to fill in a Brighton & Hove Joint Housing Register application form:

For more information on the online application, download our frequently asked questions document (PDF 20kb).

The online application form is the quickest way to apply. If you do fill in a paper form please download it and ensure you print out the entire form, and then fix it together. It can then be returned to:

The Homemove Officers
Homemove Team
4th Floor, Bartholomew House
Bartholomew Square
Brighton, BN1 1JP

Please give us all the information we ask for or we'll have to return your application to you. You must also provide copies of documentary proof of any other information that has been requested.

If you have chosen not to use the online application form, you may also need to complete one or more the following forms:

These do not need to be completed if you have used the online application form.

Once we receive your completed form, it will be assessed and you will be given a priority band according to your housing need. If you disagree with the priority band you’ve been given, you can ask the council to review the decision - please contact the Homemove Team as detailed above or fill in our housing application request a review online form.