Community Trigger - ASB and Hate Incident case review

The Brighton & Hove Community Safety Partnership, which includes the police, the council and registered housing providers, works together to tackle anti-social behaviour and hate incidents.

The Community Trigger is a process you can use to ask agencies to review their response to anti-social behaviour or hate incidents you have reported.

You can use the Community Trigger if you have reported three separate incidents within the past six months to the police, the council or your housing provider and no action has been taken. You can activate the Community Trigger on behalf of someone else if you have their written consent.

If your case meets these criteria, you will be notified within three working days. Your case will be reviewed and the outcome of the review will be reported to you within ten working days. 

The Community Trigger is designed to ensure that there is a review where incidents have been reported and no action has been taken. It is not a complaints procedure.

I don't meet the criteria, what do I do now?

Anti-social behaviour (ASB) and hate incidents

If this is the first time you are reporting this issue or concern, you can report it by:

To find out more take a look at our anti-social behaviour page.
The city has agreed Victim and Witness Service Standards (PDF 125KB) which set out clear standards of service, stating what you can expect when you report anti-social behaviour.

Environmental health, including noise and animal welfare

Abandoned vehicles



  • In emergencies, always call 999.

I'm not sure I want to report my concern at the moment, is there anything else I can do?

Sometimes, simply talking to a neighbour or someone else in your community about your concerns can help. 

You could also raise your concern at your Local Action Team, community or resident association meeting. Your neighbourhood police officer, police community support officer or a community safety officer will often be at these meetings.

How do I make a complaint or give feedback?

If you wish to comment on the service you have received, both the council and the police have complaints and feedback forms: