If you have a disability, there are a number of ways the council can help you live more independently in your home - whether you own it, rent privately, or are a council or housing association tenant. These can include providing equipment to make daily tasks easier, or adapting your home to improve access or help you use bathing facilities, etc.

Adaptations include providing ramp access, adding handrails, widening doors, raising electrical sockets, replacing a bath with a level access shower, or installing special equipment for people with hearing or visual difficulties.

These adaptations may be funded or partially funded by the council, depending on your circumstances.  For further information regarding financial charges, see Charges for Social Care Services.

How do I get help?

Please complete an Application for Social Care Services or contact the Access Point on (01273) 295555 or by email

They will take details of the difficulties you are experiencing. Your needs will then be assessed by a disability professional, who will discuss the recommendations with you. If these include an adaptation, the Adaptations Team will contact you to organise a visit.

Does it matter what sort of tenancy I have or if I own my own home?

No, all residents are entitled to be assessed according to their individual needs. Financial assistance may then be available from the council in the form of a Disabled Facilities Grant or other funding. Private sector residents or homeowners may get help with the process through Mears Home Improvement Ltd on (01273) 427690 or emailing

For more information, view or download our adaptation guidance booklets below: