Independent Reviewing Officers (IROs)
IROs are experienced senior managers employed by the local authority. We work separately from social workers and all other professionals that looked-after children and their families have contact with.
We have a legal responsibility to make sure that the local authority is doing everything possible to meet the looked-after child or young person's needs. This includes making sure realistic plans are in place for the child’s future.
What we do
- Make sure looked-after children contribute to and have a copy of their “Care Plan”.
- Make sure people involved with the child do what they say they will do without delay.
- Keep in touch with looked-after children in between reviews where appropriate.
- Make sure there is adequate preparation and involvement in care planning and review processes by people important to the child.
- Make sure the looked-after child knows about their legal rights, how to make complaints, having an advocate or independent visitor.
Independent Reviewing Officers
The Safeguarding and Review Service
Moulsecoomb Hub South
Brighton, BN2 4SE
IRO Service main number: 01273 295973
- Reviews - A Guide for Parents (MS Word 31kb)
- We'd like your views about Independent Reviewing Officers - please complete our short parent feedback survey
- Find out how to make a comment, compliment or complaint about our service