Independent Reviewing Officers (IROs)
IROs are experienced senior managers employed by the local authority. We work separately from social workers and all other professionals that looked-after children and their families have contact with.
We have a legal responsibility to make sure that the local authority is doing everything possible to meet the looked-after child or young person's needs. This includes making sure realistic plans are in place for the child’s future.
What we do
- Make sure looked-after children contribute to and have a copy of their “Care Plan”.
- Make sure people involved with the child do what they say they will do without delay.
- Keep in touch with looked-after children in between reviews where appropriate.
- Make sure there is adequate preparation and involvement in care planning and review processes by people important to the child.
- Make sure the looked-after child knows about their legal rights, how to make complaints, having an advocate or independent visitor.
Independent Reviewing Officers - Children in Care & Care Leavers
Safeguarding & Quality Assurance Unit,
Moulsecoomb Hub South
Brighton, BN2 4SE
IRO Service main number: 01273 295973
- Reviews - A Guide for Parents (MS Word 31kb)
- We'd like your views about Independent Reviewing Officers - please complete our short parent feedback survey
- Find out how to make a comment, compliment or complaint about our service