Cooking with leftovers
There are many meals you can make with the odds and ends that invariably get leftover from previous meals or forgotten in the fruit bowl or the back of the fridge... see our recipe cards below for a few ideas to get you started.
- Recipe Card 1 - Perfect pasta (plus tips on portions) [PDF 375kb]
- Recipe Card 2 - Vegetable soup (plus tips on storing food) [PDF 205kb]
- Recipe Card 3 - Saskia's all in one dinner (plus tips on dairy) [PDF 353kb]
- Recipe Card 4 - Vicki's make the most of your roast (plus tips on meat and fish) [PDF 376kb]
- Recipe Card 5 - Erika's eggy bread (plus tips on date labels) [PDF 253kb]
- Recipe Card 6 - Ollie's mushy banana cakes (plus tips on fruit and vegetables) [PDF 398kb]
- Recipe Card 7 - Spanish tortilla (plus tips on planning your shopping) [PDF 369kb]
- Recipe Card 8 - Jan's Chinese egg fried rice (plus tips on food safety) [PDF 448kb]
- Recipe Card 9 - Vera's Mexican stuffed tortillas (plus tips on composting) [PDF 612kb]
More recipes can be found at www.bhfood.org.uk. The Love Food Hate Waste website also contains a lot of delicious recipes to inspire you to make the most of the food in our fruit bowl, fridge and cupboards, surprising... there is something for everyone, whether you are a keen cook and organiser or more spontaneous.
But you don't always need a recipe - you can use whatever ingredients to have to make your own meals.
Cook the right portions
There are some very simple things you can do to make sure you're cooking the right amount - for example a quarter to half a mug of dry rice is about right for an adult and use less for a child (depending on their age). The Love food hate waste website's portion planning section has tips on cooking the right amounts of all types of food.
- Ainsley Harriot's quick idea for using food past its best on youtube
- Tom Kitchin's cooking demonstration on youtube
Join the discussion and get involved
Add us on Facebook - get our latest news and join in discussions
Follow us on Twitter - ask us any questions and get mini updates
More information and ways to contact us
Visit Love Food Hate Waste for more ways to love food and reduce your food waste.
More tips and recipes are also available from the US campaign website www.ExpendableEdibles.com
|More information||Contact us|
|Refuse main page|