Noise from alarms

If you believe there has been a break in, or attempted theft please call Sussex Police. If you suspect a fire, contact the East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service.

This information applies only to alarms continually sounding, or ringing for over 20 minutes every hour. For any other issues, please see our general reporting noise problems information.

To report an alarm, please call us on 01273 293541.

Important information

When reporting an alarm please have the exact address of the property, or the details of the location, make, model, colour and registration number of the vehicle.

This will allow us to check our records for any contact details, and sort it out as quickly as possible.

Where we can show an alarm is causing a problem, we will take all possible steps to contact the person responsible for it. Where that is not possible, we may disable or silence the alarm.

All charges incurred for silencing alarms, as well as officer time, will then be recovered from the individual responsible.

Premise alarms

If we establish an alarm from a premises is causing a nuisance and cannot contact the owners within an hour, we may disable it.

Where alarms are located externally, this will require hiring a alarm engineer to come and disconnect it.

Where alarms are internal, we will need to obtain a warrant from the magistrates to enter the property. This can take a long time. 

Once we have a warrant to enter, we will employ a locksmith and alarm engineer to enter the property, disable the alarm, and then re-secure the premises.

Car alarms

If we establish an alarm from a vehicle is causing a statutory noise nuisance and cannot contact the owners within an hour, we will seek to disable the alarm.

It is not always possible to disable an alarm, or in some cases to re-secure a vehicle. In such cases we may have the car towed away to a secure location.

Such action may be very expensive for the owner, especially where we can't disable the alarm and we have to take the car to a remote location.

What can I do to help prevent my alarm causing an issue

Make sure that your alarm has a cut out device, which triggers after no more than 20 minutes. After this the alarm should not sound again until manually reset.

If you have a house alarm, please register it with us by emailing, proving at least two keyholders who will be available to get the alarm disabled within 20 minutes of contact.

You can also register your alarm with peace for a pound, who will hold your keyholder information.

If you have a car alarm, please ensure the registered keeper details for the vehicle are up to date, and that you have included a phone number that you can be contacted on at all times.

How to contact the service

To report a noise complaint or for advice, call the Environmental Protection Team on 01273 294266 between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Weekend noise patrol

The council’s out of hours weekend noise patrol service is now operating from 10pm to 3am on Friday/Saturday and Saturday/Sunday. 

Please contact us on 01273 293541 and let us know the following:

  • your name and address
  • a contact number
  • and details of where the noise is coming from

In an emergency, please call Sussex Police on 999.