Report a noise problem

We investigate noise to check if it is causing a statutory nuisance under the Environmental Protection Act 1990. More information on statutory nuisance can be found on

We also have more rapid powers for dealing with continually sounding alarms.

The best way to contact our service is through our online Environmental Health report form. 

We're not able to deal with

Before contacting the service

Make sure you have read the above, and that we can deal with the noise issue affecting you.

Be aware that all complaints to the council will need to be declared when selling a property. The council will keep a record of all complaints made and certain information will be retrievable through the Freedom of Information Act.

Our involvement can sometimes aggravate matters, particularly if it's the first time the people hear that there's a problem. Before reporting an issue you may want to consider taking your own action.

How to contact the service

The best way to contact our service is through our online Environmental Health report form. You can also contact our department by

When making a complaint you will need to provide the following information:

  • Your name, address and a telephone number  
  • The address (or site) where the problem is coming from   
  • The type of noise, and how it is a affecting you  
  • When and for how long the noise occurs

What we will do

Every case is different, but in general we will:

  1. Contact the person responsible and tell them about the complaint
  2. If the noise continues we will collect evidence by asking you to keep diaries, and sending out officers or recording equipment
  3. Where a statutory nuisance is identified, we will take action in line with our enforcement policy

Weekend noise patrol

Our weekend noise patrol is operational from 10pm to 3am on Friday night and Saturday night.

Call 01273 293541 or email during these times and leave a message including:

  • your name and address
  • a contact number
  • and details of where the noise is coming from

Officers will need to come into your home to witness the noise. 

This voicemail and email is only monitored during the noise patrol hours.


Your name and address will not be given to the person complained about without your permission, although they may be able to guess your identity. Your details are also likely to need to be revealed if we take any legal or formal action.