Changes affecting your Council Tax bill

Council Tax Benefit overpayments

All Council Tax Benefit claims finished at the end of March 2013, when the old Council Tax Benefit scheme was replaced by the new Council Tax Reduction scheme.  However, Council Tax Benefit overpayments will still occur when we receive information about a change in your circumstances that happened before 31 March 2013, that causes a reduction in your entitlement to Council Tax Benefit for a period in the past.

If this happens, we will write to you with details of the overpayment and send you a revised Council Tax bill showing you the outstanding amount and how to pay it. 

Find out about Benefit changes - graphic

Changes to the amount of your Council Tax Reduction

Under the new Council Tax Reduction scheme which started on 1 April 2013, if you have a change in your circumstances we will need to recalculate the amount of the Council Tax Reduction you receive.  You'll then receive a new Council Tax Reduction statement and you may also receive a revised Council Tax bill, if your entitlement to the reduction changes.

To avoid receiving revised Council Tax bills for past periods, please ensure that you advise the council's benefits service as soon as possible whenever you have a change in your circumstances - you can advise us of changes online.

Who should I contact with queries?

If you have questions about Council Tax Benefit overpayments or changes to the amount of the Council Tax Reduction you receive, please contact the Benefits Service.

If you have questions about your Council Tax bill, or how to pay please contact the Council Tax department.