Contacting the council's benefits service
See our Benefits ~ Do it now page for a list of things you can do online such as claiming Housing & Council Tax Reduction, or just checking to see if you’re entitled.
You can email us at email@example.com. Remember to put your claim reference (if you have one), full name, date of birth, national insurance number and address in the email.
Did you know you can speed up your application processing time by submitting your evidence electronically? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with what you need to support your application
- Telephone: (01273) 292000
lines are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday
- Minicom: (01273) 290333 (for people with speech or hearing difficulties)
- Accessing the Benefits Service in other languages
- Landlord line: (01273) 296647
- Report benefit fraud: (01273) 291847
- Overpayments repayment line: (01273) 291970
By visiting us
Brighton Customer Service Centre, Bartholomew House (opposite Brighton Town Hall), Bartholomew Square, Brighton, BN1 1JE (map)
- Centre open Monday to Friday 8.45am - 4.30pm
- Benefits Service appointments are available Monday to Friday from 9.00am onwards. The latest appointment slot available is 3.30pm.
- To arrange an appointment call (01273) 292000
Brighton Customer Service Centre provides modern facilities for customers to gain access to a range of the services provided by the council in one place. The Customer Service Centre has automatic doors, is wheelchair-accessible and has induction loops available for the hard of hearing. See our Brighton Customer Service Centre web page for a full list of the council services you can access here and more detailed information on building accessibility and how to get there.
If you attend the Brighton Customer Service Centre you can get assistance from Benefit staff to make an online claim in the self help desk area.
Handing in documents at neighbourhood housing offices
You can hand in documents at the following offices:
Neighbourhood offices are open from 9am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 9am to 4.30pm on Fridays.