Landlords and agents payment information

Housing benefit payment dates

You can download a leaflet with the 2013 / 2014 payment dates for customers and landlords [PDF 102kb] or the 2014 / 2015 payment dates for customers and landlords [PDF 107kb].

Landlord payment schedules

These are sent first class the day after every payment run. You should therefore get these within two days of receiving your payment by cheque or into your bank account.  If you do not receive your schedule you can request a copy – we can e-mail, fax or post these to you.  If you would prefer to receive payments direct to your bank account, please let us know by contacting

If you would like your schedule of payments sent to an email address, please email: or call our Landlord line: (01273) 296647. Please note the Council pays landlords directly in four weekly cycles.

Benefit payments are made either fortnightly in arrears or advance, four weekly in arrears or two weeks in arrears and two weeks in advance.

Change of landlord bank details

If you would like your payments made into a Bank or Building Society account, please complete and return our change of payment form.

Direct payments to landlords

The council can pay landlords, if the tenant is:

  1. vulnerable and can't manage their financial affairs
  2. unlikely to pay their rent and have got into arrears before
  3. in rent arrears of eight weeks or more (the 8 week arrears period takes into account an advance payment, if this is part of the tenancy agreement)

The council's Vulnerability Policy and Procedure tells you how we make a decision to pay the landlord where someone is vulnerable.  You will need to complete a Local Housing Allowance direct payments form [PDF 139KB], and give us supporting evidence about your needs so we can decide whether to pay the landlord.


If the tenant is in arrears we need evidence of the amount to pay the landlord. Please send us a completed copy of the arrears form found here.

There are many reasons why someone cannot manage their money and paying the landlord may only be a short term arrangement.  There are a number of local advice agencies who may be able to offer support. Where a Landlord charges a rent at an affordable level (usually the Local Housing Allowance rate), where there is no requirement for a Discretionary Housing Payment, the Council will consider direct payment of Housing Benefit to that Landlord.

Please remember that tenants have the right to revert Housing Benefit payments to themselves. Any request by the tenant will be considered by the Council and the Landlord will be notified in advance if direct payment changes. Tenants will be advised that if they fail to pay their rent and then asked to be placed in accommodation by the Council, they may be considered as “intentionally homeless”. This guidance will operate from April 2011 until the introduction of Universal Credit, or the DWP changes their guidance about direct payments. This guidance relates to tenants claiming Housing Benefit in the private rented sector, who are not covered by the Safeguarding (vulnerability) policy.

Checking of tenant claims

Details of claims will be checked periodically by the Benefits office. Find out about periodic checking of claimant's details. This means that payment of benefit should not end unless we are advised of, or find out about, a change in circumstances. It is the claimant's responsibility to inform the Benefits office of any changes in their circumstances. 

Landlords also have a responsibility to inform the Benefits office of any changes they know will affect their tenant's benefits, for example a change of address. You can tell us about a change of circumstances by phoning, writing or emailing us at If you are a landlord and need to speak to the Benefits Service, please use the Benefits landlord Information line on: 01273 296647.