Register to vote
You can register to vote if you are
- at least 16 years old (but you can't vote until you're 18)
- from eligible countries (PDF 23KB); British, Commonwealth, Irish Republic and European Union citizens
- not disqualified from registration
You can email email@example.com or call us on 01273 291999 with your name and address and request a form to be sent to you in the post.
Or, you can download a paper voter registration form, print and complete a form and post to:
Electoral Services Office
Brighton & Hove City Council
Brighton Town Hall
You can also hand deliver the form to Electoral Services, Brighton Town Hall, Bartholomew Square, Brighton BN1 1JA
A new revised voter's register is published on the first working day of each month (except October and November). People can be added to the register throughout the year under the rolling registration process.
Previously, the head of every household registered everyone who lived at their address to vote. Now, through Individual Electoral Registration, everyone is responsible for registering themselves. Find out more about the changes to the way you register to vote
- If you move house, you should register at your new address straight away; you don't have to wait for the next annual canvass. Register on GOV.UK
- Students registering to vote can register at more than one address but you can only vote once in any single election.
- If you don't move, you don't need to register again each year, but you should complete the household enquiry form sent out each Autumn.
- If you don't know if you're already registered, contact the electoral services team to find out.
Special category voters such as an overseas elector, a crown servant, in the armed forces or homeless will need to complete separate forms.
The Register of Electors is updated every year and is produced to allow eligible people to vote in elections. It was published on 1 December 2015.
Here are the deadlines for rolling registration in 2016
|If we get your form by||Your details will be changed on|
|Friday, 11 December 2015||Monday, 4 January 2016|
|Friday, 8 January 2016||Monday, 1 February 2016|
|Monday, 8 February 2016||Tuesday, 1 March 2016|
|Thursday, 10 March 2016||Friday, 1 April 2016|
|Monday, 11 April 2016||Tuesday, 3 May 2016|
|Tuesday, 10 May 2016||Wednesday, 1 June 2016|
|Thursday, 9 June 2016||Friday, 1 July 2016|
|Friday, 8 July 2016||Monday, 1 August 2016|
|Wednesday, 10 August 2016||Thursday, 1 September 2016|
Young people and registering to vote
This video was created by students at City College Brighton to encourage young people to vote.
We have more information on registering to vote as a student.