Key dates for the 2014/15 budget
Setting the budget - timetable of key dates
5 March 2014
27 February 2014
Full Council met to debate the 2014/15 budget and Council Tax. No budget was agreed and the meeting was adjourned.
13 February 2014
The Policy and Resources Committee met to consider:
- Our latest budget proposals
- Month 9 Forecasts of the 2013/14 budget position - the latest estimate of how the council is performing against the agreed budget for the current financial year.
- General Fund Revenue Budget 2014/15 - the main budget report that sets out the council's income, expenditure and savings proposals for the next financial year, and is the basis for setting the level of Council Tax
- Housing Revenue Account Budget 2014/15 - the income and expenditure plans for council housing
- Capital Programme 2014/15 - the plans for capital investment in schools, highways, council buildings and investment initiatives
16 January 2014
The Policy and Resources Committee met to consider the Tax Base Report, which estimates the number of chargeable properties in the city.
5 December 2013
The Policy and Resources Committee met to consider the budget update, budget strategies and savings proposals for 2014/15.
The provisional Local Government Finance Settlement was announced by the Chancellor. The announcement confirmed the funding allocations for councils from national government for the 2014/15 financial year. The announcement was part of the Chancellor's annual Autumn Statement to Parliament.
Consultation with residents and businesses begins. Use our budget tool to find out more about council spending and funding and feedback your thoughts. We’ve also sent 3,300 residents a questionnaire asking for their thoughts on council spending and how we fund our services. Over the coming months there will also be engagement with other groups, for example we’ll be meeting to consult our business community. The council will also consult with Trades Unions and staff and ensure there is cross party involvement in reviewing finance and performance information.
The Policy and Resources Committee met on 11 July to discuss the budget update and agree the budget setting process.