Freedom of information
The Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOI) came fully into force in January 2005. This means that the general public have even greater access to information held by Brighton & Hove City Council than they had previously.
Its provisions affect all public sector bodies from large government departments to small primary schools. The provisions of the act were introduced in two phases. In the first phase all bodies must have in place what is known as a Publication Scheme (a list of classes of information available to the public). For local authorities this had to be completed by February 2003.
You can view or download the Brighton & Hove City Council Freedom of Information Publication Scheme in PDF format below:
The second phase came in January 2005 when all the provisions of the act came into force. From January 2005, the act gave individuals and corporate bodies the right of access to all types of recorded information held by local authorities, with the exception of certain specified exemptions (for instance, personal information and commercially sensitive information).
The following documents may be read online or downloaded:
For more information about the act please visit:
- Information Commissioner's Office - for advice, guidelines and decision notices.
Make a Freedom of Information request
To make a Freedom of Information request to Brighton & Hove City Council, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please telephone 01273 295959 if you need further help or advice.
We no longer use a website to process and publish Freedom of Information Act requests. Instead please email us your request direct to email@example.com
If you have already used our FOI website to submit a request, we will still process it and respond to you.
The what do they know website enables you to see public Freedom of Information requests. You can also use it to make your own requests, if you want the answers to be available publicly.
Freedom of Information requests we've responded to
These files are updated monthly and detail the requests we've responded to:
- Freedom of Information requests - June 2016 (PDF 267KB)
- Freedom of Information requests - June 2016 (Excel 12KB)
- Freedom of Information requests - May 2016 (PDF 235KB)
- Freedom of Information requests - May 2016 (Excel 8KB)
- Freedom of Information requests - April 2016 (PDF 243KB)
- Freedom of Information requests - April 2016 (Excel 15KB)
- Freedom of Information requests - March 2016 (PDF 42KB)
- Freedom of Information requests - March 2016 (Excel 10KB)