The Greenfield Biodegradable Coffin
For woodland burial and cremation
The Greenfield is a strong, sturdy and lightweight coffin. It has been developed for those who require an ecologically friendly and biodegradable coffin for burial or cremation. It is available to funeral directors and those wanting to undertake an independent burial or cremation.
The coffin is designed for use at the woodland burial ground (where only this type of coffin is used) and is also accepted at the woodvale crematorium. It is suitable for cremation as it complies with the low emission levels set by the Government's Environmental Protection Act. The coffin has been tested by the Federation of British Cremation Authorities, of which Brighton & Hove City Council is a member.
- three-part coffin: outer shell, inner compartment and lid. All made from recycled cardboard. A biodegradable liner is also provided.
- unique securing system when all parts are locked together (making the coffin very strong).
- holds up to 17 stone (107.9 kg) and will accommodate up to 6'1" (185.4cm), with a shoulder width of 23" (58.4cm).
- available in woodgrain effect, dark green or plain white.
- it can be decorated using water-based paint to personalise the coffin.
- the cost is £158.00 (including VAT). Cheques are payable to Brighton & Hove City Council.
Personal collections can be made between 10am - 4pm (Mon-Fri) from:
Brighton & Hove City Mortuary
Street map: Brighton & Hove City Mortuary
Please telephone us on (01273) 292329 before collection. The council cannot deliver the coffins.
All personal visits or postal enquiries may be made by contacting Bereavement Services.