UPDATE REGARDING BEEF SERVED AT PRIMARY & SPECIAL SCHOOLS WITHIN BRIGHTON & HOVE
We are pleased to confirm that there has been no trace of horse meat found in any of our meals. Naturally this is a matter which our contractor Eden Foodservice has taken seriously. Rigorous testing established that no equine DNA was present in the British Red Tractor Burger or any other meat products served within our schools.
Eden has robust processes in place with their suppliers and a commitment to use only fresh British Red Tractor beef for meals provided to all Primary & Special Schools within the city of Brighton & Hove
Red Tractor accreditation means all fresh British beef can be traced back to the UK farm of origin. Eden remains committed to providing school meals that are freshly prepared using high quality and nutritious ingredients.
All food provided by Brighton & Hove City Council meets the nutritional standards set by the government and Eden has achieved the Soil Associations Bronze Food For Life . This ensures that children are provided with a healthy balanced meal. We work with Eden Foodservice to create the menus which include
- a variety of red meat and poultry dishes all to the red tractor standard
- sustainable fish including omega-3 rich oily fish
- local free range eggs
- balanced vegetarian dishes
- a wide choice of fresh fruit, vegetables and salad
- fresh bread, cooked on site daily
Click here to see the nutritional analysis of the 2 choice menu
Click here to see the nutritional analysis of the 3 choice menu
My child has an allergy or intolerance
Find out more about how we cater for food allergies and intolerances and other special diets.
Menus and theme days
The current cost of a meal is £2.10 in primary schools
Could you be entitled to free school meals?
Eden are contracted to provide menus with either two or three choices and a Balanced Choice Packed Lunch Menu where requested.
- Find out which menu your school uses.
- View or download the November 2013 - April 2014 two choice Eden Menu [pdf 550KB]
- View or download the November 2013 - April 2014 three choice Eden Menu [pdf550KB]
- Balanced Choice Packed Lunch Menu - Weekly rotating menu. Some schools provide this with the dessert of the day. Balanced Choice Menu
Portslade Infants will now receive the two choice menu detailed above.
Secondary schools manage their own meal contracts. For more information, please contact your school direct.
Many parents have asked for further support and information to help them make an informed decision around school meals. The Little Book of Goodness written by the School Food Trust is designed to address these concerns.
The Corporate School Meals Contract will be provided by Eden Foodservice (part of the Rentokil-Initial Group) and is administered by the School Meals Team. Any schools that have opted out of this contract, as well as PFI schools, will have their own arrangements.
Find out more about Eden Foodservice
If there are any queries regarding school meals, please email email@example.com or call the following numbers:
- for comments, complaints, compliments and contractual issues, please contact the School Meals Manager (01273) 293590
- to enquire about a job then please call Eden Foodservice (01273) 818892
A small selection of local and national organisations useful to School Meals