Free school meals
Did you know that you don't have to pay for a school meal for your child if they're in Reception, Year 1 or Year 2? The current cost of a school meal in primary schools is £2.20.
- check if you are entitled to free school meals
National School Meals Week: 13 – 17 November
Celebrating everything that’s good about school meals in Brighton & Hove – Healthy, tasty, social and fun!
During the week of 13 to 17 November, we will be offering a special menu celebrating everything that good about our school meals service:
- Good quality ingredients used within the service including MSC fish, Red Tractor meats, and fresh vegetables.
- Eat a rainbow will promote take-up of vegetables, salad and fresh fruit amongst our pupils.
- Food & Mood will provide healthy choices that children can sit and enjoy together: sharing a meal with friends can help improve overall wellbeing.
- National Roast Dinner day on Wednesday15 November.
- Trying a new pizza base (thin and crispy) topped with our vegetable packed homemade tomato sauce. Where appropriate classes will have the opportunity to top pizzas which will then be cooked for them in time for lunch for the whole class to enjoy together!
- Finishing off on Friday with a Seaside Special we will be adding some salmon fishcakes to our MSC fish as an extra for children to try (Omega 3 benefits).
School meal menus
Autograph Education are contracted to provide menus with either two or three choices and a balanced choice packed lunch menu where requested. Find out which menu your school uses from the school office.
Please note that the telephone number on the menus has changed. The correct number is 01273 415862.
- Download the two choice Autograph Education menu (PDF 3.4MB). This runs from October 2017 to April 2018
- Download the three choice Autograph Education menu (PDF 3.4MB). This runs from October 2017 to April 2018
- Download the balanced one choice packed lunch menu (PDF 124KB). This is a weekly rotating menu. Some schools provide this with the dessert of the day.
- Download the balanced two choice packed lunch menu (PDF 160KB). This is a weekly rotating menu. Some schools provide this with the dessert of the day.
Brackenbury Primary School now receives the three choice menu detailed above.
Secondary schools manage their own meal contracts. For more information, please contact your school.
Silver Food For Life. This ensures that children are provided with a healthy balanced meal. We work with our contractors, Autograph Education, to create the menus which include:
- a variety of red meat and poultry dishes all to the red tractor standard
- sustainable fish including omega-3 rich oily fish
- local free range eggs
- balanced vegetarian dishes
- a wide choice of fresh fruit, vegetables and salad
- fresh bread, cooked on site daily.
My child has an allergy or intolerance
If your child has an allergy or intolerance please download this document for more information about allergy, intolerance and other special diets (PDF 91KB).
Peas Please Pledge – Food Foundation
A new initiative led by the Food Foundation is urging the foodservice industry and supply chain to pledge actions that will lead to increased vegetable consumption in the UK.
Brighton & Hove City Council School Meals Service in partnership with our catering provider, Autograph Education Catering, is proud to be leading the way in the city and have made a pledge to support increased vegetable consumption amongst our pupils – see our pledge here (under the “eating out” section).
Many parents have asked for further support and information to help them make an informed decision around school meals. The Little Book of Goodness written by the School Food Trust is designed to address these concerns.
Autograph Education (formerly known as Eden Foodservice)
The Corporate School Meals Contract is provided by Autograph Education (part of the Interserve Group and formerly known as Eden Foodservice) The contract is administered by our School Meals Team. Any schools that have opted out of this contract, as well as PFI schools, will have their own arrangements.
If there are any queries regarding school meals, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the following numbers:
- for comments, complaints, compliments and contractual issues, please contact the School Meals Manager on 01273 293590.
- to enquire about a job then please contact Autograph Education you can call them on 01273 415862.
A small selection of local and national organisations useful to school meals.