School funding - Section 251 outturn statements
Purpose of financial statements
The council must publish our Section 251 outturn statements.
The section 251 outturn statement is intended to:
- Provide schools, parents and others with an interest in education and children services with details about schools and LA funding and expenditure.
- Provide data for the Departmental Annual Report (DAR).
- Inform policy making.
- Inform the Treasury for monitoring purposes.
- Inform Parliament in its role of monitoring the Department’s accountability for public funds. MPs ask about school and authority expenditure via the mechanisms of Parliamentary Questions or through the Education Select Committee.
It is important that schools forums and others have finance data available to them to inform debate about differing levels of expenditure between LAs and between schools. Therefore, all statements are prepared to a common format.
The Section 251 outturn reports for the period 2010-11
Documents in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF):
- Table A - Spending by Schools [PDF 28 KB]
- Table A1 – Children and Young People’s Services [PDF 26 KB]
- Table B – Spending by Schools (detailed breakdown) [PDF 27 KB]
Documents in Microsoft Excel Format:
- Table A - Spending by Schools [Excel 28 KB]
- Table A1 – Children and Young People’s Services [Excel 26 KB]
- Table B – Spending by Schools (detailed breakdown) [Excel 27 KB]
More information on schools spending
Find out more about the Schools' Forum