We want Brighton & Hove to be the best place for children and young people to grow up in
In Brighton & Hove our children's services bring together education, health and social care for all 0 to 19-year-olds (and up to 25 years for those with special needs). They work in partnership with other health services as well as community and voluntary organisations in the city.
Many services are offered by neighbourhood based teams, while some are delivered by city-wide teams.
Find out more about our services by reading our annual report
Find out more about our services by exploring the links below
- Support for Children in Care
- Social work: Our Story and Children's Services briefings
- Families, Children and Learning Directorate Plan 2017-2020
- Young people's summary of Children and Young People's Plan (PDF 551KB)
- Children's Centres
- Our local offer for children with special educational needs and/or a disability (SEND)
- Early help - supporting families and improving outcomes
- Read our Children's Health & Wellbeing Strategy (PDF 895KB)
In May 2015 we were inspected by Ofsted on our services for children in need of help and protection, children looked after and care leavers and you can read the inspection letter here (PDF 441kb)
In May 2016 we were inspected by Ofsted and the Care Quality Commission on our services for children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities and you can read the inspection letter here (PDF 242). We then had a follow up letter from the Minister of State for Vulnerable Children and Families (PDF 649) acknowledging the positive outcome of the inspection.
If you are a member of the public and worried about a child's welfare please contact our Front Door for Families.
Some of the main organisations we work with are:
- Sussex Community Foundation NHS Trust
- Brighton & Hove City NHS Teaching Primary Care Trust
- Brighton and Sussex University Hospitals NHS Trust
- Sussex Police Authority
- Brighton & Hove Clinical Commissioning Group
- Sussex Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
Training for everyone working with children in the city
We provide training for everyone working with children, young people and their families. Our training is available to community and voluntary sector organisations, other public sector organisations and private businesses in the city.
Working in our children's services for the council
We are looking for social workers to help children in Brighton & Hove. Look at our guide to working for Brighton & Hove children's services to find out more.