Registration as a pool promotor

Regulation of the Gambling Industry in Great Britain has changed.  From 1 September 2007, new legislation came into force that places new responsibilities on gambling operators.  Anyone who wishes to run a gambling business in Great Britain and certain other key staff must be licensed by the Gambling Commission.

The pool betting industry is being regulated alongside other gambling activities, and the sector will be regulated for the first time by the Gambling Commission. If you plan to provide facilities for pool betting you will require a licence. You might be providing these facilities remotely (for example through the internet or telephone), or on premises, including tracks.

Further information can be obtained from the Gambling Commision's website at


  • Gambling Act 2005

If you have any queries contact:


tel: (01273) 294429