Personal licence to sell alcohol

You have to be a personal licence holder to be the designated premises supervisor on a premises licence to authorise the sale of alcohol (unless covered by a temporary event notice).

Applying for a personal licence

To apply for a personal licence you must have:

Application form

The personal licence application form  


Your application must be accompanied by a fee of £37.00.

Payment can be made by

  • cheque payable to 'Brighton & Hove City Council'
  • debit or credit card over the telephone by contacting the licensing team on 01273 294429

We are unable to accept cash.


You must have an accredited personal licence qualification and send proof of this with the application.

full list of accredited personal licence qualification providers is available on GOV.UK.

Criminal record checks

Applications must be accompanied by one of the following criminal record checks that have been issued no more than one calendar month before the application date.


If you require any further information please contact us.

Other information for personal licence holders

Change details on an existing licence

Replacement for lost licence

  • Write to the Licensing Team and advise of your details and duplication needed
  • There is a £10.50 fee

Personal licence renewals

As of 1 April 2015 you do not need to renew personal licenses.

Check for more information on alcohol licensing,on GOV.UK.

Contact the licensing team.