Lotteries and Raffles

Local councils are the registration authority for society lotteries promoted for the purpose of raising funds for sporting, charitable or benevolent purposes.  A typical society lottery would be a local school parent-teacher association or a local amateur football club.  Lotteries not promoted by societies or where the value of tickets for sale in a lottery exceeds £20,000 have to register with the Gambling Commission and not their local council.

Exempt Lotteries

Exempt lotteries do not require a licence from the Gambling Commission, although small society lotteries are required to register with their local authority.  In addition to small society lotteries, exempt lotteries include:

  • Incidental non-commerical lotteries - commonly held at charity fund raising events
  • Private society lotteries - only members of the society and those on society premises can particiapte in the lottery
  • Work lotteries - only people who work together on the same premises may participate
  • Residents' lotteries - only people who live at the same premises may participate
  • Customer lotteries - only customers at the business premises may participate

This Gambling Commission link is attached for your information


  • Gambling Act 2005

Return your application form(s) to:

Health & Safety and Licensing
2nd Floor Bartholomew House
Bartholomew Square

If you have any queries contact:


tel: (01273) 294429